Russ Harper is a pastor, small business owner, Army veteran, and father of five. He is seeking to add “member of the House of Delegates” to his list of accomplishments.
Harper is challenging Shelly Simonds for the honor of representing the 94th District, which runs along the James River in Newport News from Christopher Newport University to Fort Eustis. The district is perhaps the city’s most Republican-winnable seat.
Even though there are certainly local issues to be addressed, they are being discussed within the larger context of the state campaigns. Issues like education, parental involvement, school choice, and COVID-19 to name a few, but other issues like funding the police, right to life, protecting constitutional freedoms, fair elections, and growing the economy and small businesses are also part of the debate.
Simonds is primarily running a campaign claiming “Democrats Deliver” on health care, raising the minimum wage, and raising teacher pay.
Simonds, a first-term incumbent, defeated David Yancey in 2019 following the controversial election of 2017 where Yancey won by having his name drawn from a bowl.
Harper and I talk about the issues, his background, and the importance of this election.
Learn more about:
- Russ Harper
- Ballotpedia: District Profile
- Virginia candidate wins rematch after losing 2017 race when names were drawn from bowl
Subscribe to the show!
Listening to a Podcast:
1) Click the player and listen to it via your device
2) Go to Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify TuneIn, or Stitcher– Subscribe to the podcast to automatically download new shows to your device when they are uploaded.
3) Added tip: Connect your device via Bluetooth, USB, or even 3.5mm to your car radio, select the aux or media input on your radio for your device, and press play on your device for the show either on the post or through Apple Podcast/Google Play/Spotify/TuneIn/Stitcher.
Watch the podcast on YouTube: