Episode 95 is with Judge Chad Dotson, Dean of Students and Distinguished Professor of Law at Appalachian School of Law. The former circuit court judge also writes columns for Cincinnati Magazine about his beloved Reds.
On the show, Dotson and I talk about three of my favorite things: Law, Politics, and Baseball.
We also discuss the role of government regarding the recent Facebook challenges and testimony before the U.S. Senate.
One of his most consequential decisions in 13 years on the bench happened to be his last decision: ruling against Virginia Uranium, Inc. and their hopes to begin mining at Coles Hill. As I am a Uranium mining advocate, he and I have a good discussion about this.
But we also go into how he threw a curveball to first-term Gov. Terry McAuliffe’s blanket policy to restore the rights of felons by the stroke of a pen.
Dotson has always been interested in politics. He was elected to Commonwealth’s Attorney in Wise County. Prior to being nominated for the bench, he taught “Campaigns and Elections” for the University of Virginia-Wise. He also was one of Virginia’s most widely-read political bloggers. So, we also talk about his recent foray into running for the State Senate, and if he is considering campaigning for an office in the future.
Finally, we offer up our analysis of the 2021 Major League Baseball Season, our World Series picks, and whether there is any hope for his Reds or my Tigers.
Learn more about:
- The Honorable Chadwick S. Dotson
- Virginia Uranium Inc. v. The Commonwealth of Virginia
- Ex-Facebook manager criticizes company, urges more oversight
- Chad Dotson in Cincinnati Magazine
Subscribe to the show!
Listening to a Podcast:
1) Click the player and listen to it via your device
2) Go to Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify TuneIn, or Stitcher– Subscribe to the podcast to automatically download new shows to your device when they are uploaded.
3) Added tip: Connect your device via Bluetooth, USB, or even 3.5mm to your car radio, select the aux or media input on your radio for your device, and press play on your device for the show either on the post or through Apple Podcast/Google Play/Spotify/TuneIn/Stitcher.
Watch the podcast on YouTube: